Evaluation of Cycle, dress and scholarship in school of Bihar in 2012-13

About the project

To improve access to education and bring in more children within network of school education, the Government of Bihar has started certain schemes that act as incentives to enrolled students to increase their school attendance ultimately leading to adequate students' follow up of the due process of school education. The scheme to distribute school uniform, bicycles, scholarships and other such incentives to students in government schools, on the basis of certain criterion, is unique means adopted by the Government o\f Bihar in this regard. This project was undertaken to assess the process of execution of such schemes and distribution of incentives within them across schools. Sample based but large scale assessment of distribution process from all districts of Bihar revealed that out of the 11,100 covered under the evaluation, approximately 78% witnessed fairly smooth distribution of incentives. In remaining 22% of the schools, execution of schemes suffered either due to inadequate or untimely availability of funds, attitude of school staffs or any other disturbances. Further, it was found that within these 78% of total schools, proportion of beneficiaries out of the total eligible candidates under various schemes is nearly 90% on average. However, there is significant gap in number of enrolled children and actual number of beneficiaries since, nearly half of the target candidates does not record at least 75% of attendance in schools and thus fails to fulfil the eligibility criterion to avail the incentives. Considerable inter-district variation was observed in proportion of candidates who meet the eligibility conditions as well as in percentage of beneficiaries out of the eligible candidates. Some districts particularly from Purnea, Gaya and Magadh divisions consistently display lower percentage of eligible candidates under all four schemes. Involvement of grass root bodies and School Management Committees seems to have encouraging impact on effective distribution of incentives whereas inadequate policing of the process created challenges for school management.

Back